[BRLTTY] Trying to install

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Dec 18 12:14:02 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Howard Traxler on 2022/12/16 at 18:09 -0600]

>I have downloaded and installed BRLTTY.  I've connected my Alva 380 via com1 to my windows 10 computer running NVDA.

You might have problems with brltty itself so, to avoid that, please upgrade the new beta code (which identifies as 6.5-203).

>BRLTTY shows up in the Braille choices in NVDA, but I get an error (could not load the BRLTTY display) when I choose it.

Someone else will need to help you with this one as I don't use Windows, so also not NVDA. Perhasp you could ask the NVDA people to let you know what this error means and possible ways to resolve it. For example, perhaps they're trying to start brltty in an older way which we no longer support.

Also, maybe there's a way that you can capture an NVDA debug log which contains more details.

>I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if it's actually running and if it's ready for the next steps to make it work?

You could try the Windows command (without the quotes) "sc query brlapi". It's output should contain a line that starts with the word "state", which should be "running".

Another Windows command you might try (the quotes are required) is: tasklist -fi "imagename eq brltty.exe"

--
Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |