[BRLTTY] not a text screen?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Feb 25 11:39:06 EST 2023

On 24/2/23 18:41, Michael Keithley wrote:
> I'm trying to use doseum on a 64-bit machine. It's packaged in the Slint 15.0.1 distribution and it works. My problem is that it wants to emulate graphics terminals like VGA or CGA and Brltty gives the message
> screen not in text mode
>
> As far as I can tell without asking for help, the dos prompt is there, and the exitemu command works.
>
> In the global configuration file, there is a line to set the terminal, and a "dumb" option is there. If I select this, I get a Dos prompt, but the program I want to use doesn't display anything.
>
> So how can I get brltty to display properly in this situation?

You need to configure Dosemu to use text output, and not to emulate a
graphical terminal.

As I haven't used Dosemu, I don't know whether it offers the required
option - check the documentation.

If this doesn't work, you have at least two options.

1. Use a virtual machine, such as KVM, instead. Qemu has an option to
use ncurses text output.

2. Run a DOS screen reader - that probably won't support your braille
display, unless the display is very old, and you would need to find the
correct software for the display.