[BRLTTY] The (old) screen patch and the (new) brltty-term command.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jan 14 11:04:21 EST 2023

For a (very) long time, now, we've made use of a patched version of the screen program to give brltty access to platforms - primarily Mac OS X, that don't provide native access to the screen content. While this method has worked well enough, it's highly inefficient and is also far too much work for an inexperienced user.

We've finally implemented a new method which should simply work "out of the box" - the brltty-term command. We'd appreciate it if (especially) Mac users who are able to build the latest brltty development code would test it out and let us know of whatever problems, suggestions, etc you have.

While you can install it, you don't need to since it's been designed to also work when invoked from within the build tree.

With two exceptions, all of its arguments are passed, unmodified, through to brltty. Those two exceptions are:

If the first argument is -h then you'll get help for brltty-term itself rather than for brltty.

If the first argument isn't an option - i.e. it doesn't begin with a minus sign - then it's the name of or path to the shell (bash, dash, etc) or terminal manager (screen, tmux, etc) that you'd like to run. In this case, all the rest of the arguments are passed through to brltty. If you don't provide this argument then your login shell - i.e. whatever the $SHELL environment variable points to - is assumed.

Again: As always, problem reports, suggestions, questions, etc are always welcome.

--
Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |