[BRLTTY] Making easier to accumulate filenames in theclipboard

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Sun Jul 2 18:17:59 EDT 2023

Dear all,

I assume that it is a current workflow to have a list of filenames
displayed on screen as output of ls or git status or find etc. and to
accumulate them in the clipboard to then paste them onto another
command-line.

In my case this workflow is so frequent that I'd like it to become even
easier.

More specifically, currently adding a filename to the clipboard involves
two operations: (1) beginning the copy operation by marking the beginning
of the filename and (2) ending the copy and concatenating to the
clipboard by marking the end of the filename. In addition to these two
operations, if one wants the names to concatenate well, one has to make
sure to include spaces in the concatenation and these spaces have to appear
at the beginning of the copied regions, otherwise they won't be taken into
account if I am not mistaken.

I see two things that could be considered to make the workflow easier. On
the one hand, one could imagine an accumulation mode where it is
implicit that what is being accumulated has to be separated by
spaces so that one would not have to take care of that.
On the other hand, it could be explored whether two operations are
really necessary to add a filename to the clipboard. Couldn't we,
for instance, imagine to enter a context where each click on a routing
key (in combination with another key) would simply take the word around
that click and add its content to the clipboard, with a space before
it if the clipboard is non-empty?

Sure, that last suggestion would not quite work for filenames containing
spaces. Still, that would make this kind of accumulation of
filenames so much easier, it feels.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.