[BRLTTY] Reliable braille display hardware?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Jun 23 11:45:17 EDT 2023

I have two 40-cell braille displays, one of which is only partly
functional due to multiple hardware problems with both cells and the
command keys, and the second of which is not functional at all. The
second display is a Baum SuperVario 40 from the mid 2000s, parts for
which aren't available anymore. In the best case scenario, the issue is
only with the battery, which can be replaced.

I'm investigating and considering my options. One of the options would
be to buy a new display.

In the current market, which manufacturers are producing the most
reliable and long-lasting hardware, so far as is known? If I make a
purchase, I want it to last for a long time.

I think BRLTTY compatibility can be assumed for most, if not all current
devices.