[BRLTTY] Can't get brltty to build, was Re: Support multiple Python versions on Windows

Leonard de Ruijter alderuijter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:40:33 EDT 2023

On 19-10-2023 03:13, Dave Mielke wrote:
> Thanks. My Windows build with those two PRs reverted is fine. Without
> creating the installer, i.e. bdist_wininst -> bdist_egg, how should
> this line in the generated README be reworded?
>     - Python bindings are provided by: Brlapi-${BRLAPI_RELEASE}.win32.exe

Ugh, it looks like eggs can't be installed the modern way with pip.

I'd personally do the following:

1. In the winsetup, add logic to install wheel from pip, similar to how
Cython is installed:

installWheel() {
    local python

    if findCommand python python py
    then
       export PYTHONIOENCODING="utf-8"
       local directory="${python%/*}"

       findCommand wheel wheel || {
          logMessage task "installing Wheel"
          "${dryRun}" || executeCommand pip -q install wheel
       }
    else
       logWarning "Python not found"
    fi
}

2. swap bdist_wininst for bdist_wheel

3. In the documentation, i'm not exactly sure about the file naming:

- Python bindings are provided by: Brlapi-${BRLAPI_RELEASE}.win32.whl
- They can be installed using pip: pip install
Brlapi-${BRLAPI_RELEASE}.win32.whl