[BRLTTY] Very beginner Focus 1 70 cell display installation related question

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Thu Apr 11 07:51:49 EDT 2024

Hi Mario,

Before I brought the display home, my friends looked at it under Windows
using the JAWS screen reader based on this guide:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Legacy/Focus/Focus%20Users%20Guide.txt
Unfortunately, I don't have Windows, I only use Linux.

The following errors are definitely present in the display based on the
test carried out on Windows, these are not BRLTTY specific errors, they
were caused by the iron teeth of time (this is a very old device):
      It detects all keystrokes and the wheel, but the keys are very
difficult to press, the space also gets stuck.
      The points stand out nicely, are stable, strong, but when they
should retract, they stay out. It's not disturbing, because they fall
back when touched, they don't stay out.

A close friend of mine only has 64-bit Windows 11 (maybe 2023 h2).
Do you think it is possible to connect this display with a USB serial
converter via a serial cable?
It would be weird if that were the case.

In Narrator the online manual I see this modell the supported list
(Focus 1 70 cell display), but this is true the 64 bit eco system too?

In Linux level I goed back with Ubuntu 14.04 a live test, doed a log
file, but both text mode and GUI mode BRLTTY not detected the display
(not saved in 5.0 version a log file).

What mean the error message with have the previous log files?

The 85-brltty udev rules file correct contains device identifier data
(vendor and product id).

Attila