[BRLTTY] USB HID Braille standard

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Tue Feb 27 07:16:10 EST 2024

Hi

I have seen a press release that discusses some form of braille protocol
standardisation for HID devices:
https://www.usb.org/node/588
Judgin from what I've seen on the Freedom Scientific blog:
https://blog.freedomscientific.com/usbhid1/
the standard doesn't change much, as there's still a need for an additional
driver.
I wonder whether someone else knows more details?

-   How much adoption has it found in actual devices?
-   Would devices that are operated with the defined subset work, i.e. have
    lesss features and probably keys working, yet work out of the box?
-   What is the state in BRLTTY? Is there a USB-HID-braille driver for
    supporting "unknown" devices?

Thanks
Sebastian