[BRLTTY] brltty failing to load in initramfs started before systemd-udev-settle.service

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Mon Nov 14 03:13:28 EST 2022

Hello,

Below the response to a message from Samuel which didn't reach the list
because it had been posted to an older address.

Samuel Thibault (2022/11/13 21:52 +0100):
> Hello,
>
> Digging back this old mail.
>
> Sebastian Humenda, le mar. 13 déc. 2016 09:03:14 +0100, a ecrit:
> > The proposed change possibly breaks the initramfs-option of BRLTTY, but that
> > never worked for me so far.
>
> In the Debian packaging there was a bug, we fixed it with Sébastien this
> week-end, uploaded as version 6.5-5.

Special thanks to Samuel for his help in this. Two remarks:

1. Practically, the ability to embed BRLTTY in initramfs means that one
becomes able to have an encrypted hard drive and to have braille support
for entering the passphrase to access it.

2. As suggested by Samuel privately, it may be suitable to have the
support for embedding BRLTTY in initramfs upstreamed so that this
feature becomes available in all distributions, especially in the
context of being able to encrypt ones hard drive.

Sébastien.