[BRLTTY] Request for HID Braille Protocol Support on Android

discapacidad5 discapacidad5 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 04:30:18 EDT 2023

Dear BRLTTY team,

I am writing to you to express my need for the HID Braille protocol support
on Android. I am currently developing a low-cost Braille display for people
with limited resources, especially for the deaf-blind community. I would
like to implement it with the HID Braille protocol, but I was disappointed
to find out that neither BrailleBack nor TalkBack nor BRLTTY, which are
currently the only Braille support services available on Android, support
the HID Braille protocol over Bluetooth. It seems that some USB-connected
Braille displays are beginning to be supported, but the ESP32 device I am
developing with only supports HID over Bluetooth BLE.

After struggling for several months, I realized that my problem with the
protocol was that none of these support it. Therefore, I would like to
request that you incorporate the HID Braille protocol to enable me to use
my development on Android. I would be grateful if you could provide me with
any information regarding whether you are already working on this protocol
support. I understand that most new Braille displays are coming with the
HID protocol, and some displays only work with it. Therefore, I assume that
you are already aware of this and are likely working on the development of
support. I would appreciate it if you could let me know the status of this
development and if you have a target date for the first Beta release.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing
from you soon.

Best regards,

Cergio Monasterio