[BRLTTY] Window managers; was: Re: [OT] GUI applications not working when on text console

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Tue Apr 11 11:06:58 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-10 at 18:22 -0400, "S. Massy" <smassy at wolfdream.ca> wrote:
 > Following that train of thought... What window manager(s) are you people
 > using besides marco? I assume it has to use GTK to be accessible via
 > Orca.

I use Awesome as the window manager as it is scriptable. It is not accessible
with Orca, but it works enough thanks to xbrlapi. The only things I use WM for
are to launch either a terminal emulator or firefox. I use the terminal
emulator to restart Orca whenever it hangs or misbehaves.

Awesome is good for me as it is hacker oriented and very lightweight. I do all
my real computing in console, and only start an X server if I really need to
access a website that does not work with elinks or edbrowse.

I too, hope that wayland accessibility would be radically improved, as it
seems that there is soon no gooing back to Linux console as the console code
is getting more and more outdated.

Porting accessibility infrastructure and tools to Wayland is going to be a lot
of work though and this is probably not going to be very interesting for
any company.

--
Aura