[BRLTTY] printing unicode braille patterns on BrailleBlazer printer

peter.julien.rayner at gmail.com peter.julien.rayner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 00:55:54 EST 2023

Hmm, I'm getting back to this after only a year's break ...
To recap I have output which mixes ascii and unicode braille patterns
and I need to print these on an ancient printer (a Braille Blazer from
1998) which seems to understand North American Braille Computer Code
(nabcc). It's an 8-dot printer and the notation I'm using has a lot of
dot 8 (i.e high bit set). The translation seems to work, i.e checking
the dot patterns that correspond to the 8-bit characters *after*
translation seem to match the original. I can't, however, print them.
This is over a USB-parallel adapter. Things with dot 8 present don't
seem to be printing correctly. A capital b (dots 1 2 7) will appear
before each such character and frequently the printed character will
be offset by 0x80 from the desired, as iff the high bit was being
ignored. I suspect this is either a printer or Linux device driver
problem  but in case anyone has either a brltty explanation or
workaround I thought I'd try here. Any pointers very much appreciated.
regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner (he/him), Honorary Professorial Fellow, University of Melbourne
mobile +61 402 752 379
mail-to: peter.julien.rayner at gmail.com
google scholar: <https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=H3up71wAAAAJ&hl=en>
I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation, and pay my respect to their Elders, past and present
I am sending this email when convenient for me, please only respond when convenient for you