[BRLTTY] printing unicode braille patterns on BrailleBlazer printer

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Fri Dec 29 08:52:39 EST 2023

Hi, Peter!

You wrote:

> To recap I have output which mixes ascii and unicode braille patterns
> and I need to print these on an ancient printer (a Braille Blazer from
> 1998) which seems to understand North American Braille Computer Code
> (nabcc). It's an 8-dot printer and the notation I'm using has a lot of
> dot 8 (i.e high bit set). The translation seems to work, i.e checking
> the dot patterns that correspond to the 8-bit characters *after*
> translation seem to match the original. I can't, however, print them.
> This is over a USB-parallel adapter. Things with dot 8 present don't
> seem to be printing correctly. A capital b (dots 1 2 7) will appear
> before each such character and frequently the printed character will
> be offset by 0x80 from the desired, as iff the high bit was being
> ignored. I suspect this is either a printer or Linux device driver
> problem  but in case anyone has either a brltty explanation or
> workaround I thought I'd try here. Any pointers very much appreciated.

I don't know your printer, but most of them has either a menu or a possibility to set parameters through sending esc codes, e.g. the esc char followed by some characters. Did you try to turn the embosser into 8 dot mode. I suppose the default is 6 dot. You may also check which character set the embosser supports.

Hope this helps.

Lars