[BRLTTY] Strategies for copy/paste

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Thu Jan 12 15:16:08 EST 2023

Dear Brltty Users!

I have some stupid questions concerning the topic copy/paste. Background
is that I teach my blind brother to to use command line tools with brltty.

One task is writing emails with 'alpine' and there a sound editor comes
into play. 'Alpine' supports lots of console editors and I tried "micro"
and 'jed' for starters.

My brother lives quite a distance from me so our teaching sessions are
done utilizing 'tmux' duplexed 'ssh' sessions. We utilize 'tmux' so that
I can see what he types in the console and vice versa.

Copy/paste is usually done be setting markers for the begin and end of a
region of the console to be copied. This can be done utilizing brltty
directly or the functionality of the editor.

Utilizing brltty has the charm that the routing keys can be used to set
the markers with ease. But these brltty markers are not reflected into
the console and I do not see what my brother marked has marked.

Utilizing the functionality of the editor has the charm that I can
easily see the regions marked, but the editor marks (Highlighting) are
not reflected into brltty and my brother cannot detect the marked region.

So nether of these two approaches is satisfying.

Since the later problem is a general obstacle for brltty console
programm users I am sure that there must be a solution e.g. config
option to deal with that.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Volker

--
    inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
    Hungerbichlweg 3               +49 (8860) 9222 7 92