[BRLTTY] Strategies for copy/paste

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Mon Jan 16 16:02:40 EST 2023

Hey Volker!

Veyr nice e-mail, very nice question! thanks!

It's not that often that sighted persons try to work with blind persons
in such a close way and I am guessing this is why the tools are not more
developed than they are now. It's still impressiing how you have dived
deeply into the topic.

As you may or may not know, there is already a feature to highlight on
screen the window which is currently displayed in braille. Not sure
whether that works through tmux or not but would be curious to hear
about it in both cases.

In a similar way, it should in theory be possible to mark on-screen the
text as it gets selected. However, it may be difficult to make the
feature work in a consistent way because, once the text is in brltty's
clipboard, it remains there even when no longer on screen. So I imagine
it would be possible to highlight the beginning of the selected text,
and then perhaps also its end, but then the sighted user would have no
clue on whether it's a linear or rectangular "cut", whether it's getting
accumulated in the clipboard or whether it replaces the current
clipboard content. So the feature already seems challenging to design.
Perhaps more challenging to design than to actually implement, once the
design has been decided.

I am eager to reading input from others, more advanced and experienced
users and developers from the list.

Sébastien.