[BRLTTY] Strategies for copy/paste

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Tue Jan 17 09:45:38 EST 2023

Dear Sébastien!

Am 16.01.23 um 22:02 schrieb Sébastien Hinderer:
> Hey Volker!
>
> Veyr nice e-mail, very nice question! thanks!
Your welcome!

> It's not that often that sighted persons try to work with blind persons
> in such a close way and I am guessing this is why the tools are not more
> developed than they are now. It's still impressiing how you have dived
> deeply into the topic.

In fact It is a 10 years experiance with brltty and several braille
displays my bother used.

But only recently my brother is interested in doing more than mp3
ripping of his CDs :-)

> As you may or may not know, there is already a feature to highlight on
> screen the window which is currently displayed in braille. Not sure
> whether that works through tmux or not but would be curious to hear
> about it in both cases.

That's a really interesting feature. I oft only can guess where my bro
is looking too.

How can I activate this feature?

> In a similar way, it should in theory be possible to mark on-screen the
> text as it gets selected. However, it may be difficult to make the
> feature work in a consistent way because, once the text is in brltty's
> clipboard, it remains there even when no longer on screen. So I imagine
> it would be possible to highlight the beginning of the selected text,
> and then perhaps also its end, but then the sighted user would have no
> clue on whether it's a linear or rectangular "cut", whether it's getting
> accumulated in the clipboard or whether it replaces the current
> clipboard content. So the feature already seems challenging to design.
> Perhaps more challenging to design than to actually implement, once the
> design has been decided.
>
> I am eager to reading input from others, more advanced and experienced
> users and developers from the list.

I think this may be a really intersting project. But I share your doubts
that a consistent implementation may be really hard.

Also it may quite confusingto the sighted person as well as the braille
user. I can imaging infinite highligthing loops occuring.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Volker