[BRLTTY] Strategies for copy/paste

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Jan 17 16:40:08 EST 2023

Hey Volker,

Dr. Volker Jaenisch (2023/01/17 22:27 +0100):
> Will try it as soon as my bro is online :-)

Cool. Could you please report here whether the highlighting works even
when sharing the screen through tmux? Would really like to know this.

> > For the highlighting of selected text do you miss it a lot?
>
> Not really. It was only o possible option while I was deciding wether the
> copy/paste is best done by brltty or the application.
> Since my bro now becomes quite fluent with the "nano" key bindings I think
> the decision is : the application.

Well this may not work everywhere. In an IRC client for instance, or if
you are viewing somethign in less, or very simply in a terminal, if you
want to copy/paste the output of a command, I'd say brltty is the only
possibility, unless of course you use gpm or you run your terminal e.g.
in emacs or the like. Oh and perhaps screen / tmux do have their own
copy/paste facilities. Also sometimes I use both simultaneously (brltty
+ editor) to manage several copied things. I know I could ahve several
brltty clipboards but I never learned the bindings, I certainly should.

> After the first struggle the combination of "alpine mail" and "nano" as
> email editor works seamless and reliable.

If not too late I'd suggest switching to slightly more "mainstream"
tools, e.g. mutt and an editor like emacs or vim. If your brother ends
up wanting to program, such editors open the way to much more
possibilities, I believe. Same for mutt. In my opinion, it's really
worth it. Also, emacs has org-mode which IMO is invaluable.

> Many thanks for your (and the brltty list) kind help

My pleasure, was a very fun exchange!

Seb.