[BRLTTY] Strategies for copy/paste

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Tue Jan 17 18:57:45 EST 2023

Dear Sébastien!

Am 17.01.23 um 22:40 schrieb Sébastien Hinderer:
> If not too late I'd suggest switching to slightly more "mainstream"
> tools, e.g. mutt and an editor like emacs or vim.

The attribution "mainstream" is quite perspective dependent. From my
perspective as Python/VueJS software developer "PyCharm" and "Webstorm",
"Firefox", "Thunderbird" are "mainstream" tools.

A Microsoft developer may insist that there is no such thing as "VS-Code".

My decision for "Alpine" above "Mutt" was simply: Get things done. One
of my best friends is a Mutt enthusiast. I called him. Even he states -
Mutt has to been understood and maintained.

If it is the maintenance time of your own email it may be worth the time.

But not mine. Any contemporary emails system Thunderbird, etc. you will
set them up in no time.

So my deadline for the email client was: Anything that needs longer than
5 Minutes to understand and setup is not worth the time. And Alpine won.

The decision for the editor was a bit harder. I am bread with EMACS and
utilize "jed" frequently. So "jed" was the option I favoured firstly.

But then I saw "micro" and liked its handling of "mainstream" key
bindings like "shift cursor" for marking and "CTRL C", "CTRL V".

As much as "micro" appealed to me as sigthed user it frustrated my bro.
"micro" is sadly programmed by the new generation of programmers not
knowing what they do. It seems that they flush the complete screen on
any key stroke, completely confusing brltty. They may have never heard
of a framebuffer. :-(

For "Jed" there was no configuration option to silently save files -
which made the integration into "apline" cumbersome.

So in the end I decided on "nano" which is a GNU (if you want to say
"maintstream") tool.

I hope that ensures you that my decisions weren't by chance.

Cheers,

Volker

--
    inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
    Hungerbichlweg 3               +49 (8860) 9222 7 92