[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and Orca with Varioultra 40 braille display

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Jul 22 11:13:51 EDT 2023

I just acquired a new Varioultra 40 display. It is the version from
Visiobraille with the USB-C port.

It is working reliably with BRLTTY, answering the question discussed on
the Orca list recently and on the BRLTTY list. This is why I am
cross-posting my comment.

As usual, once BRLTTY gained control of the display, Orca worked with it
immediately.

In case anyone else has this difficulty, I found out that it was
possible for the display to charge via the USB port without the host
system being able to detect it as a USB device. That is, it didn't
appear in the output of the lsusb command. The cause turned out to be
that, although the USB cable was tightly connected, it still wasn't
fully attached. You have to press the connector in the right way to make
sure it engages completely.