[BRLTTY] Britty bug?

SamB s.j.bozman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:09:04 EDT 2023

Hi,

I am a software developer using a Ubuntu Linux machine and I have found
evidence that your Britty software for the blind is somehow preventing
my machine from creating virtual paths (i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0) for
connections to USB to UART bridge controllers.

After researching this problem I did find a suggestion to disable your
Britty service with the following terminal commands:

$ sudo systemctl stop brltty-udev.service
$ sudo systemctl mask brltty-udev.service
$ sudo systemctl stop brltty.service
$ sudo systemctl disable brltty.service

This does work but somehow after a few weeks the problem resurfaces
(updates?) and I have to run this script again.

Even though it is a little bit annoying, I can live with it but just
wanted to let you know that this is causing problems with mounting some
USB to UART bridge controllers.

(This problem is with CP2102 USB to UART bridge controllers, but there
may be others as well)

Thanks for listening.

Sam Bozman