[BRLTTY] Sometimes single character input on laptop keyboard gives many copies of that character

Nicole Fontenot (Nicki) nfontenot27 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:04:48 EST 2023

>     I assume you have a graphical desktop running since you show a 'sudo' command.
I do. And you were correct that I did run brltty from within the graphical environment.
> In Ubuntu and other distributions, you can turn off repeated keystrokes:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/keyboard-repeat-keys.html.en
I shutdown the graphical environment and switched to only using the linux terminal provided by the kernel with the slowest kbdrate 2.0 cps (delay = 250 ms). The manual doesn’t seem to tell me how to turn it off.

tty1 has my network stuff running
tty2 has sudo brltty -n -r -p hw:0,0
tty3 has vim for testing the issue
tty4 has weechat for testing the issue

With this new setup, the characters double less often. I could not reproduce the problem in vim after I terminated weechat. With weechat open, vim gets maybe 1/1000 characters doubled. In weechat it is more like 1/100 characters get doubled.
The character doubling rate before i changed setups was near 1/10
I will take a look at what is causing this in the code eventually, but it is currently not my top priority.

> I think there are also known bugs with terminal interaction that don't have to do with 'brltty'.
That sounds frustrating. I’ll try to keep tabs on stuff like that.

In closing, I think you are on to something since it seems dependent on the keyboard rate. I can only assume this is a low priority since this probably does not effect Braille input. I would be curious about the solution if anyone finds out what is going on.