[BRLTTY] Another Alva for use with BRLTTY under Windows

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Dec 21 10:59:14 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Pawel Loba on 2022/12/21 at 04:51 -0500]

>Unfortunately, so far I have not been able to get the Alva 480 braille
>display to work over the serial port with BRLTTY.

The log file you posted a couple of days ago contained this line:

   detected Alva Delphi 480: 80 columns, 5 status cells

Please verify that your latest log file still contains this line. If so, that's verification that brltty is indeed communicating with the device over the serial port.

>Windows 10 OS does not support drivers for this braille display by default,
>are these drivers installed during the BRLTTY installation, what should I pay
>attention to during the BRLTTY installation process, please?

A device's native - i.e. vendor-supplied - driver for a given device shouldn't be installed when using brltty with that device as that'd create a conflict.

Currently, the Windows build for brltty has all the drivers built into the executable. To see which ones they are, go to the Debug subdirectory of the build, edit the file config.mk, and look for the line which begins with BRAILLE_INTERNAL_DRIVER_CODES.

>By the way, would you guys know which BRLTTY version is Microsoft using for
>Braille displays support under Narrator?

Do you know where they install it? If so, run that brltty with the -V (uppercase) option and it'll tell you. It used to be 5.6, but I don't know if they've upgraded yet. If they have, it might be 6.4.1.

--
Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |