[BRLTTY] Connection to b':0' failed. Is BRLTTY really running?

Finn Pedersen finnpedersenfrance at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:33:00 EST 2022

To Samuel

I have changed the brltty.conf file to write to a log file. Log-level
information

I am testing with two different braille displays.
- *Focus blue 40*. It runs immediately. Connected with normal USB cable. I
can start the computer and run my python program. The Focus displays
different messages as the computer starts. It even said brltty at some
point during boot.
This is the logfile right after booting.
[brltty] BRLTTY 6.4 rev BRLTTY-6.4 [https://brltty.app/]
[brltty] Log Level: information
[brltty] Messages Locale: en_US.UTF-8
[brltty] Messages Domain: brltty
[brltty] Messages Directory: /usr/share/locale
[brltty] Autospeak Threshold: none
[brltty] Privilege Parameter: path=
[brltty] Privilege Parameter: scfmode=
[brltty] Privilege Parameter: shell=
[brltty] Privilege Parameter: user=
[brltty] can't isolate namespaces
[brltty] executing as the invoking user: finn
[brltty] can't set supplementary groups
[brltty] group not joined: 0(root)
[brltty] group not joined: 5(tty)
[brltty] group not joined: 20(dialout)
[brltty] group not joined: 29(audio)
[brltty] group not joined: 107(input)
[brltty] group not joined: 132(pulse-access)
[brltty] required capability not granted: cap_sys_admin (for injecting
input characters typed on a braille device)
[brltty] required capability not granted: cap_sys_tty_config (for playing
alert tunes via the built-in PC speaker)
[brltty] required capability not granted: cap_mknod (for creating needed
but missing special device files)
[brltty] Working Directory: /home/finn
[brltty] Configuration File: /etc/brltty.conf
[brltty] Preferences File: brltty.prefs
[brltty] Updatable Directory: /var/lib/brltty
[brltty] Writable Directory: /run/brltty
[brltty] Drivers Directory: /lib/brltty
[brltty] Tables Directory: /etc/brltty
[brltty] Text Table: en_US
[brltty] CLDR open error: No such file or directory:
/usr/share/unicode/cldr/common/annotations/en.xml
[brltty] possible cause: the package that defines the CLDR annotations
directory is not installed
[brltty] emoji substitutiion won't be performed
[brltty] Contraction Table: en_US
[brltty] Attributes Table: left_right
[brltty] Keyboard Property: type=
[brltty] Keyboard Property: vendor=
[brltty] Keyboard Property: product=
[brltty] Keyboard Table: off
[brltty] Speech Input: none
[brltty] /lib/brltty/libbrlttyxa2.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
[brltty] cannot load screen driver: /lib/brltty/libbrlttyxa2.so
[brltty] screen driver not loadable: a2

*[brltty] Braille Display Dimensions: 40 columns, 1 row*[brltty] Key
Bindings: all
[brltty] Key Help: /etc/brltty/Input/ba/all.txt
[brltty] Braille Driver: ba [BrlAPI]
[brltty] BrlAPI Braille Driver: version 0.1, 2005
[brltty] Braille Parameter: host=
[brltty] Braille Parameter: auth=
[brltty] Braille Device: usb:
[brltty] Old Preferences File: /etc/brltty-ba.prefs
[tune-thread] can't open beep device: /dev/tty0: Permission denied
[brltty] Speech Driver: no [NoSpeech]
[brltty] NoSpeech Speech Driver:
[...]

- *Brailliant BI 20X.* The display says "terminal" when connected to the
computer.
Connected with USB-C cable. There is no reaction when the computer boots,
no messages and no log file. As if brltty was not stated.

When starting brltty manually from the command line, I get this log file.

Before this line it is the same
[brltty] Speech Input: none
The difference is here.
[brltty] BrlAPI Server: release 0.8.3
[brltty] API Parameter: auth=
[brltty] API Parameter: host=
[brltty] API Parameter: stacksize=
[brltty] screen device: vcsa
[brltty] console device: tty0
[brltty] unicode device: vcsu
[brltty] cannot create directory: /run/brltty: Permission denied
[brltty] Speech Driver: no [NoSpeech]
[brltty] NoSpeech Speech Driver:
[brltty] screen device: vcsa
[brltty] console device: tty0
[brltty] unicode device: vcsu
[brltty] cannot create directory: /run/brltty: Permission denied
[brltty] screen device: vcsa
[brltty] console device: tty0
[brltty] unicode device: vcsu
[brltty] cannot create directory: /run/brltty: Permission denied

When running my python program with the Brailliant connected
Connection failed: Connection to b':0' failed. Is BRLTTY really running?
error: couldn't connect to b':0' with key
b'keyfile:/etc/brlapi.key+polkit': connect: Connection refused
(brlerrno 11, libcerrno 111, gaierrno 0)
Is BRLTTY really running?
error.brlerrno: 11
error.libcerrno: 111

Different ideas for what could be wrong.
1) My cables are not good for data transfer
2) The Brailliant should be in a different mode. Maybe it should not say
"terminal".
3) brltty should run with different parameters. I wouldn't know where to
start.
4) Maybe brltty should start with the root user or superuser
I found this: *Creating the Unprivileged User. **We recommend that the
unprivileged user be named brltty, and that it be a system user.*
5) I am ignoring something in the installation or configuration that is
presumed understood

This is how I made the installation:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade (takes a long time)
sudo apt-get install python3-brlapi
sudo apt-get install python3-xlib
sudo apt-get install brltty
sudo apt-get install python3-louis